Saturday, June 21, 2008

Schizophrenic ?? or Psychophrenic ??

Yesterday, I was busy in reading someone's blog and suddenly a popup came out of gtalk. It says "Why are you Schizophrenic?" It was from one of my friends at IMT, Arabinda Subudhi. I immediately replied "What happened? I am not schizophrenic. My thoughts are schizophrenic."

Meanwhile I just remembered someone pronouncing my blog name as "Psychophrenic thoughts" and I immediately told Arbind that, "It's not psychophrenic. It's schizophrenic." And in reply to this came a link, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schizophrenic

And it shows....

"Main Entry: schizo·phre·nia
Pronunciation: \ˌskit-sə-ˈfrē-nē-ə\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin
Date: 1912
1 : a psychotic disorder characterized by loss of contact with the environment, by noticeable deterioration in the level of functioning in everyday life, and by disintegration of personality expressed as disorder of feeling, thought (as delusions), perception (as hallucinations), and behaviour —called also dementia praecox — compare paranoid schizophrenia
2 : contradictory or antagonistic qualities or attitudes "

He saw the first meaning of it and got a feeling that, I am having psycho thoughts. It's the same feeling that many of my readers do have about the name of my blog. But if you have a look at the second meaning it says about the contradictory qualities or attitudes.

Actually I picked up this term from the book "We are like that only" by Rama Bijapurkar. She talks about how consumer India behaves and describes it as "the heterogeneity of a consumer base of sixty-two socio-cultural regions, twenty three languages, diverse food habits, climatic conditions and cultural orientations."

And hence my blog name stands for the thoughts that come across my mind with diverse conditions of the Indian consumers in picture. And am not psycho or I don't have any psycho thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, I was desperately searching for blogs written by schizophrenics and surprised to see some one using that domain name. May be you can write an entry about schizophrenia and how badly it has been stigmatized in a negative way in society.